Re: Ancient repeat sign

From: Jürgen Reuter
Subject: Re: Ancient repeat sign
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 04:32:43 +0100

   Hi,

   I have to confess that I have not seen this notational sign before,
   therefore I am not really sure.  But I do not think that it represents
   a repeat sign in the modern sense.  It looks more like an annotation /
   meta information to the divisio.
   Specifically, my guess is that this sign refers only to the lyrics, but
   not to the notes, i.e. how often the text in the previous section
   should be distributed among the (un-repeated) performance of the notes.

   I found a recording of this Kyrie on youtube:

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaLuZWs144

   Assuming that they are performing it not completely wrong, if you
   listen to the highest voice (it switches between two choirs, thus also
   working out the repetition of the text), you can follow the notes in
   the first three lines of the score and clearly hear the three
   subdivision parts within the first "Kyrie eleison" part, with the text
   repeated three times, but the notes performed only once.  Similarly,
   the notes of the following "Christe eleison" part are also divided into
   three subsections, each with "Christe eleison" lyrics, and finally, the
   "Kyrie eleison" part, this time with somewhat different subdivisions,
   just like the signs differ.

   -Jürgen