Re: Ancient repeat sign

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: Ancient repeat sign
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 08:44:49 +0100

Hi Dan,

Dan Eble <dan@lyric.works> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. febr. 6., V, 21:32):

> https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/560909328587237881/
>
> The sections of this work seem to be separated with a kind of repeat sign.
>
>     A  :|||:  B  :|||:  C  :||:  D  :|:
>
> Q. Do I understand correctly that this is performed AAA BBB CCD?

Yes.  (sort of.)  (also, I've read Jürgen's e-mail and listened to
that performance, but I still think that the music is to be repeated.)

> Q. Is this the most obvious way to code it?
>
>     {
>       \repeat volta 3 \A
>       \repeat volta 3 \B
>       \repeat volta 2 \C
>       \repeat volta 1 \D
>     }

Yes.  (sort of.)

the glyph is quite flexible, as anything in ancient notation.  The
last time I met a repeat sign was in Josquin's Missa L'homme armé
sexti toni, where the top part of the Et resurrexit is to be repeated
four times.  Three codices mark this in three ways:
the Chigi codex, page 197v marks it as _three_ points on both sides of
_two_ bars taking up three spaces (plus and minus half):
https://digi.vatlib.it/view/MSS_Chig.C.VIII.234
another Vatican codex, page 31v marks it as
.||.
 ||.
(but the lower left dot may be missing only because scarceness of space):
https://digi.vatlib.it/view/MSS_Capp.Sist.41
a Jena codex splits the movement, there's a pagebreak, so two
repetitions are in page 205v, two more on 206v, both marked as three
dots on both sides of two bars; the bars are not longer than three
spaces:
https://collections.thulb.uni-jena.de/rsc/viewer/HisBest_derivate_00004510/BE_1047_0173.tif