Clarifying Windows support

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Clarifying Windows support
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 22:47:37 +0100

Hi,

What is right in https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6286 is
that https://lilypond.org/windows.html currently says systems as old
as Windows 2000 are supported, which is obviously not true. It looks
like that page has not been updated for long. What should we replace
this statement with? In my opinion, as stated on
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2021-12/msg00098.html
there is no point in claiming Windows 7 support if we can't commit to
it, and we have little to no testing resources for that. So I'd
propose to say 'For Windows 10' with a footnote: 'While earlier
versions of Windows may be able to run LilyPond, they are not
officially supported.  Usage is at your own risk.' or something like
that.  Furthermore, I think we can close existing issues about Windows
7 (the only other Windows version which still has non-negligible
usage). As a reminder, according to
https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide,
it is used by 12% of Windows computers. I don't think the people who
keep running old versions of their OS are most often people who will
want to upgrade their LilyPond to the latest version. Also, the market
share has decreased by 5% in a year, so it will have decreased further
by the time we release 2.24. This system is unsupported by at least
Microsoft and Python. In my opinion, Jonas' choice of focusing his
efforts on Windows 10 is wise, and it's not like there is an obvious
person who would be willing to make Windows 7 work either.

Thoughts?

Jean