Re: Naming midi files

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Naming midi files
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 22:21:46 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

>> In the archives I read from David in 2016:
>>
>>   “I cannot exactly blame Ian Hulin for stopping to
>>   contribute (and I don't actually know whether he is
>>   still alive).”
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-05/msg00077.html
>>
>> Saddeningly, Ian seems to have died aged 59.
>>
>> I came long after that time, but looking at the commit logs, he
>> seems to have helped with the early days of the Guile 2 migration,
>> which is ironically near to its end at the moment (unless you argue
>> it has been nearing the end for 10 years ...).
>>
>> I've tried to CC a few people who participated in development at
>> that time and might not be following this list these days.
>
> We could dedicate the first LilyPond Guile 2 release to him.

That would make some sense, yes.

With regard to dedications, the contributors section tends to be updated
before stable versions.  The next round would certainly warrant a
paragraph of its own for James who has stuck around and bore a
significant part of the load for migrating to new infrastructure,
including setting up test servers for self-hosting (we did end up stuck
on the hosted Sourceforge instance anyway, but he put a lot of work in
to try and make a variant of our own work).  And he kept up doing the
manually driven part of the "Patchy" workload for more than a decade if
I remember correctly.