Re: Naming midi files

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Naming midi files
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 16:52:27 -0700

On 2022-02-17 14:21, David Kastrup wrote:
Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

In the archives I read from David in 2016:

   “I cannot exactly blame Ian Hulin for stopping to
   contribute (and I don't actually know whether he is
   still alive).”

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-05/msg00077.html

Saddeningly, Ian seems to have died aged 59.

I came long after that time, but looking at the commit logs, he
seems to have helped with the early days of the Guile 2 migration,
which is ironically near to its end at the moment (unless you argue
it has been nearing the end for 10 years ...).

I've tried to CC a few people who participated in development at
that time and might not be following this list these days.
We could dedicate the first LilyPond Guile 2 release to him.
That would make some sense, yes.

With regard to dedications, the contributors section tends to be updated
before stable versions.  The next round would certainly warrant a
paragraph of its own for James who has stuck around and bore a
significant part of the load for migrating to new infrastructure,
including setting up test servers for self-hosting (we did end up stuck
on the hosted Sourceforge instance anyway, but he put a lot of work in
to try and make a variant of our own work).  And he kept up doing the
manually driven part of the "Patchy" workload for more than a decade if
I remember correctly.

Further to David's suggestion (with which I agree heartily), what about adding a section to Community | Authors, to appear above the lists. It could be called "Notable Contributors", and would include brief notes about people such as Ian and James, but also should mention Graham P., Jan N., David K., and others agreed by the development folk.

Cheers,

Colin