Re: Blockers for Guile 2.2

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Blockers for Guile 2.2
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 13:18:21 +0100

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 2:02 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:

> > > The same happens for C++ files, you also have to recompile. But it's
> > > true that editing scm files isn't for free anymore.
> >
> > The Scheme compilation felt much slower, and for C++ ccache takes away
> > a lot of the pain of recompiles. It also appears to be
> > single-threaded? I admit not having timed it in detail.
>
> Yes, GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=1 is single-threaded which is why it will never
> be the default.

If we precompile as part of the build, I wonder if we could use a hack
like -djob-count to split lilypond into N jobs where each one does a
part of the job.

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Compilation.html

suggests that one can call the compiler explicitly.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwenn@gmail.com - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen