Re: Blockers for Guile 2.2

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Blockers for Guile 2.2
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 00:31:49 +0100

Le 27/02/2022 à 01:04, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :
On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 2:02 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
while we make work slower for folks that work on large
scores and can afford to side-install Guile 1.8. It also makes
development slower for ourselves. Yes, that means some of us will
develop on a different platform than many users. This has been the
case since we started supporting OSX and Windows.
I slightly disagree, running on a different platform is not the same as
running with a completely different set of dependencies. And we know
Guile 2.2 is completely different from 1.8.
Everyone who is passionate about Guile 2.2 can develop against Guile 2.2.
So to be clear here: You would release official binaries with Guile 2.2
and rely on a subset of developers to fix the bugs while you make it
clear that you don't want to do that? Why would anybody accept that
job?
I never said I don't want to fix Guile 2.2 bugs, and you should know
as I spent lots and lots of time debugging #6218.  I also said I
support moving CI to 2.2, so any MR would pass against 2.2.

I am just asking to not drop 1.8 support.

Most of the work we do isn't actually about Guile anyway,

$ git log --since 2022/01/01 | grep ^commit|wc
     257     514   12336
$ git log  --grep=[Gg]uile --since 2022/01/01 | grep ^commit|wc
       7      14     336

I agree that the version-specific code we have (cond-expand
and GUILEV2) isn't all that much. On the other hand, I would
be glad to be able to use Guile 2 features, such as Unicode
support, when and unless, (srfi srfi-71) (let and let*
accepting multiple values), S-expression comments,
scm_c_bind_keyword_arguments, and a few others. Now
that my principal concern with the sustainability of
Guile 2 binaries (shipping bytecode with them) is cleared,
I have mixed feelings about when to leave Guile 1 behind.
I understand the desire to keep fast development cycles,
but I think the cognitive burden of wondering whether
your code will work on both versions is not desirable
in the long run regardless of CI issues.

In my previous post I showed that compiling all Scheme
files can be done in 20s with Guile 2 (so a few seconds
for a single file), and 4s with Guile 3 (so near instant
for one file). Would that address your concern with
compilation speed?

Jean