Re: Blockers for Guile 2.2

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Blockers for Guile 2.2
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 17:44:04 +0100

Hi,

I will not reply to most of your message; I suspect that your
experience comes from a corporate environment where people are paid
full time to work on software. In my opinion, many of the points are
simply not relevant in a relatively small community of volunteers, for
example the release frequency (which is already quite high for an open
source project I would say). Same for testing, in particular all
possible combinations of dependencies.

The one thing I want to get straight are the comments about Guile 3.0
because that claim keeps coming up:

Am Donnerstag, dem 24.02.2022 um 09:13 +0100 schrieb Luca Fascione:
> Last thought: as I am currently learning Scheme and Guile, and I
> noticed 3.0.x has been out for a couple years now and seems to be
> benchmarking with speeds comparable to the 1.8.x line (according to
> their release notes).

It's important to differentiate between their benchmarks and the real-
world impact on a complex project like LilyPond. There have been
preliminary tests and they indicate that it's still a lot slower than
Guile 1.8 without bytecode. Whether it will be faster than Guile 2.2
for our use-cases afterwards, I don't know.

> Given the switch to 2.2 hasn't happened yet, and as I am reading
> through these emails, it has been a long process, wouldn't moving to
> 3.0 instead be a better way to capitalize on the effort and push out
> the next round of this level of pain to a later date?

The question is, would this make things better? Jumping across even
more versions certainly doesn't promise to be an easier transition.

Jonas