Re: Comments wanted on code highlighting in PDF output

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Comments wanted on code highlighting in PDF output
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 17:08:34 +0000

On 2/24/22, 9:03 AM, "Werner LEMBERG" <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

    > I believe that these pdf documents are a significant improvement.  I
    > love them.

    Good to hear, thanks.

    > I do not see the need to use the syntax highlighting in the text
    > references.  In fact, I think the syntax highlighting in the text
    > references would get in the way.

    Could you explain why?  I think it makes some sense if, for example,
    `\foo` is always printed in bold.

I believe that the highlighting is helpful where I am trying to distinguish
between different parts of LilyPond code (in a code snippet).  I don't believe
it to be necessary when I have only one piece of LilyPond code '\foo'.  It is
already differentiated from the body text by a different font.  I don't need
(or particularly want) to have to tell the difference between different words
that are separated from one another by body text.

Furthermore, the syntax highlighting is only useful in the body to the extent
that I understand the details of the syntax highlighting.  In the code, I don't
really need to be sure what the bold highlighting indicates; it's sufficient
(for me) that it helps identify something special that I can more easily
understand.  In the body, if I see italic, I'll have to remember what italic
means if it is to be of any use to me.

I doubt that I would hate having the syntax highlighting in the body.  I
wouldn't object to somebody doing it.  But neither would I ask anybody to do it.

Thanks,

Carl