Re: Slanted Beams thickness

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Slanted Beams thickness
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 08:08:27 +0100

Le 25/03/2022 à 01:44, Valentin Petzel a écrit :
Hello,

Lilypond handles slanted Beams in a geometrically weird way, that is, the
thickness is not measured as the shortest distance between the opposing sides
of the boundary, but as vertical distance. This results in Beams getting
optically thinner and closer the higher the slope is. But we can very easily
factor this out by adjusting the thickness to the slope. In fact if we want to
achieve a real thickness theta the adjusted thickness would need to be
theta·sqrt(1 + slope²). See attached an experimental example.

Did you look into engraving literature to back this up?
Given the amount of effort put by Han-Wen & Jan in beam
formatting, I have trouble imagining this being just
an oversight.

Jean