Re: Slanted Beams thickness

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Slanted Beams thickness
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 14:21:12 +0100

Hi everyone,

On 25/03/2022 01:44, Valentin Petzel wrote:
Hello,

Lilypond handles slanted Beams in a geometrically weird way, that is, the
thickness is not measured as the shortest distance between the opposing sides
of the boundary, but as vertical distance. This results in Beams getting
optically thinner and closer the higher the slope is. But we can very easily
factor this out by adjusting the thickness to the slope. In fact if we want to
achieve a real thickness theta the adjusted thickness would need to be
theta·sqrt(1 + slope²). See attached an experimental example.

Cheers,
Valentin

I think this is a great idea. IMO, the way to think about it should be: slanted beams shouldn’t appear any less weighty than horizontal ones. It’s not easy to find very obvious examples, but I attach four versions of a bar from Grieg in which both beams seem equally thick.

I agree with others that the distances between multiple beams don’t seem good in your mockup. It’s certainly important to preserve the qualities of the beam quanting that Lily does, but I don’t know how the intricacies of that would play out.

Best, Simon