Re: Slanted Beams thickness

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Slanted Beams thickness
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 11:36:55 -0600

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 6:46 PM Valentin Petzel <valentin@petzel.at> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Lilypond handles slanted Beams in a geometrically weird way, that is, the
> thickness is not measured as the shortest distance between the opposing
> sides
> of the boundary, but as vertical distance. This results in Beams getting
> optically thinner and closer the higher the slope is. But we can very
> easily
> factor this out by adjusting the thickness to the slope. In fact if we
> want to
> achieve a real thickness theta the adjusted thickness would need to be
> theta·sqrt(1 + slope²). See attached an experimental example.

I was looking through the lilypond-devel archives trying to find
discussions that  I thought were held on this subject previously, but I
couldn't find them.

I did, however, find this post that indicates that the beam thickness and
the blot diameter interact when determining the angle of the beam as
defined by its centerline:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2019-06/msg00023.html

I found the attached .png to be quite interesting.

Thanks,

Carl