Re: Writing multiple-voiced music in chords -- adjusting the syntax or f

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Writing multiple-voiced music in chords -- adjusting the syntax or finding a magic trick?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 19:10:34 -0700

On 2022-06-28 5:17 pm, Petr Pařízek via Discussions on LilyPond development wrote:
Dan wrote:
Are you aware  of \parallelMusic ?

AFAIK, \parallelMusic requires me to write one full measure of each
voice while interleaving the voices.
As long as I'm writing it all into one stave, there's little
difference in doing it this way from enclosing each measure in braces
and putting "\\" between them.

\parallelMusic defines music variables, which is significantly different than the << \\ >> construct which only instantiates voices.

What's more, even if I did use \parallelMusic, I'm not sure how I
would be supposed to decipher that the "d3-f3-A3-F4" in my example
would sound all at the same time.

To use \parallelMusic, you should only need to rotate your thinking. Instead of simultaneous notes being in the same row, you are able to freely space such notes to align them in columns, similar to that of traditional notation. (I should note that such horizontal alignment is purely for the sake of the human, as LilyPond largely ignores whitespace.)

%%%%
\version "2.22.0"

%{
    vvv  vvv  vvv  vvv
    ---  ---  ---  ---
    c3o  g3h  C4h. E4h
         g3h       E4h
              C4q
    d3o  f3o  A3h  F4q
                   E4h
              B3h
                   D4q
    c3o  g3o  C4o  E4o

  (swap rows/columns)

  >| E4h  E4h       F4q  E4h       D4q  E4o
  >| C4h.      C4q  A3h       B3h       C4o
  >| g3h  g3h       f3o                 g3o
  >| c3o            d3o                 c3o
%}

\parallelMusic upperA, upperB, lowerA, lowerB {
  e2      e2      f4  e2      d4  e1 |
  c2.         c4  a2      b2      c1 |
  g2      g2      f1              g1 |
  c1              d1              c1 |
}

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff { \clef treble
    << \relative c' \upperA \\ \relative c' \upperB >>
  }
  \new Staff { \clef bass
    << \relative c \lowerA \\ \relative c \lowerB >>
  }

%%%%

----

It might be possible to support input similar to the original row-based approach. Consider a possible function:

%%%%
\seriesMusic lowerB, lowerA, upperB, upperA {
  | c1    g2    c2.   e2
          g2          e2
                c4
  | d1    f1    a2    f4
                      e2
                b2
                      d4
  | c1    g1    c1    e1
}
%%%%

(NOTE: I picked the word "series" as an opposite to "parallel", though I concede it is likely a dumb name.)

Implementing \seriesMusic amounts to assigning each note to the specified variables in a round-robin fashion, skipping over those that have an incomplete duration. After each row of input, the shortest remaining duration is used as the virtual time step. Bar checks would be applied to each music variable, and they might also help catch input errors, as this function would not be able to see the actual rows of input as delimited by newlines.

Ties, slurs, and articulations should probably work as expected. However, tuplets become much harder to input. The normal syntax of \tuplet <fraction> { ... } assumes a left-to-right reading order. It would never work in a column, so the user would have to use scaled durations (e.g. d4*2/3). Such durations would have be manually repeated each row. Similar issues would apply to any construct that surrounds notes, such as \transpose. And while \overrides and \tweaks could be assigned to whatever variable is currently awaiting a note, they will certainly disturb the alignment of notes.

Ultimately, this is probably only a viable input method for simple music. As things get even slightly more complex, writing parts in the more traditional manner likely wins out for readability and maintainability.

-- Aaron Hill