Re: "Hymn template" snippet

From: Trevor
Subject: Re: "Hymn template" snippet
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 11:40:36 +0000

------ Original Message ------
From: "Dan Eble" <dan@lyric.works>
To: "lilypond-devel" <lilypond-devel@gnu.org>
Sent: 08/08/2022 22:46:32
Subject: "Hymn template" snippet

"Hymn template"
https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=703

I don't see any way to find the author of a snippet.  I'd like to ask the author of this snippet
about the reason for using \breathe and \bar "||".  Are they intended to communicate two
different things, or was it merely a stylistic decision to use \bar "||" at the end of a
system and \breathe in the middle?

I would like to revise it to use \caesura but stay faithful to the original
intent.

Thanks,
Dan
Hi Dan
I'm pretty sure I was the author of this snippet. It is used in NR 2.1.7 (without comment about the comma).

A comma is the standard way of writing a breathing point in vocal music. It is used extensively in Hymns Ancient and Modern, New Standard. Gould writes on page 436 in the Vocal Music chapter: "When a note should be sung for its full duration, with extra time for the breath, add a comma above the stave - this adds a short pause to the bar in which it occurs." No mention here of a caesura. She also says on page 187, "The comma rather than the caesura is now more commonly used" (for allotting extra time for a short break in sound.)

If you change this snippet to use a caesura and render it as a comma in this section of the NR ("Chants, Psalms and Hymns") that would be OK I suppose (although \breathe seems the appropriate LP command), but "//" is definitely a no-no. I've never seen that in a hymnal.

Trevor