Re: Mixed chord/note mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Mixed chord/note mode
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:11:39 +0200

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> Le 13/08/2022 à 22:04, David Kastrup a écrit :
>> Does that sound reasonable/useful/whatever ?
>

> I don't want to make my opinion sound too strong, but to be
> honest, I'm not fond of it. I would find it confusing if
> both stuff and <stuff> were valid but had totally different
> meanings.

Well, we are currently in the position where both

<c:8> and c:8

are accepted syntactically and create a music expression, but the former
is garbage that is not getting typeset but possibly has some effect in
MIDI when using articulate.ly .

A constrained chord mode available inside of chord angle brackets is not
too bad in my book.

The last time we had a discussion about joining notemode and chordmode
into one composite mode (often _only_ being able to talk in terms of
chords rather than combinations of notes and chords is too constrained
for practical purposes), we did not really arrive at any syntax people
considered favorable.  Personally, I'd rather write tremolos as /8
rather than :8...

> From time to time, a user asks on the mailing lists why
> fingeringOrientations isn't working for them because they
> missed that for it to work, notes have to be put into
> single-note chords ...
>
> Random idea, I don't know if it actually makes a lot of sense:
>
> { c:M c:M8 c:m c:m8 }
>
> (force "major" to be explicit so ‘:’ has chord meaning if followed
> by a chord modifier, and tremolo meaning if followed by a number)

c:5 is already valid and meaningful.