Re: Lilypond build dependency tlasm

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond build dependency tlasm
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 12:02:16 +0200

Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Am 07.09.22 um 10:19 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
>> I cant find out what tlasm is. It's a missing dependency for the
>> build. Google's indexing of billions of pages produces nothing,
>> unless I am dreaming. Could somebody help me understand what this
>> program is and where to find it?
>>
>> ../configure outputs:
>>
>> ERROR: Please install required programs:  t1asm
>
> t1asm != tlasm (in uppercase: T1ASM != TLASM)

There are things like imprudent naming choices that are mistakes waiting
to happen.

I called an early utility of mine "Preview-LaTeX" and realized with the
first vanity searches that web search engines generally ignore case.
And that I was not exactly entering an empty search space.

Well, I've dropped the capitalization since then, and clearly by now
that tool (that ended up quite elaborate partly due to a host of
contributors) dominates the search space.

But "is this a good idea?" is something people should really consider
when coining terms that other people will have to use as a reference.