To branch or not to branch

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: To branch or not to branch
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 08:29:08 +0200

Hi all,

according to the plan laid out in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2022-08/msg00032.html
we are supposed to branch stable/2.24 this week "unless some really big
problems are reported". In the last discussion on this topic in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2022-09/msg00070.html
the rare crashes on Windows were identified as a blocker. These seem to
be fixed now, at least for reasonable user scores (we can still trigger
it when running the garbage collection in every translator slot); see
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6361 for full details.

There is also https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6430 which
is a problem for OLL on Windows. I can't personally comment if it's
"critical enough" to block the branching / release.

Please comment, also with other issues and thoughts. It's a bit
frustrating if there are no clear replies and I'm left to guess...

Jonas