Re: To branch or not to branch

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: To branch or not to branch
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:36:29 +1000

Hello Jonas,

As the present 'owner' of OLL I never thought OLL was a critical dependency of Lilypond. This has never been my understanding. I believe there is an issue with edition engraver, but I can't see how that should stop a significant Lilypond release. If people depend on the edition engraver then they will have to remain on the Lilypond release where it works (I can't recall the version.) As with Lilypond, OLL is totally under-resourced. The number of people currently working on the codebase is 0-1 (the 1 being overworked Jean). I'm not likely to get to fix this for at least a few weeks or even months, sorry to say.

Please go ahead without depending on OLL. If it has been now been decided that OLL is a critical resource then I need to rewrite some notes about it on the website and we have to recruit people to work on it.

People are welcome to express their needs and opinon re edition engraver and OLL on the Discourse forum I created:

https://discourse.openlilylib.space/

[And yes, you have to register to post. Only email address and a name is required. I have long since given up asking people to register with their actual name, although that would be nice.]

Andrew Bernard