Re: weird error engraving two files with 2.23.14

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: weird error engraving two files with 2.23.14
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 12:33:42 +0200

Il giorno gio 13 ott 2022 alle 10:06:47 +0000, Kevin Barry <barrykp@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Hi Federico,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 01:06:17AM +0200, Federico Bruni wrote:
 Hi folks

I've recently used convert-ly to update my private music sheet library and
 test version 2.23.14 (official binaries).
 Two files are failing with the same error message:

Did this work with 2.23.13? Or what was the last version it worked on?

I tried 2.23.12 and I got the same error.

Any idea about the cause? I'm using a different font for tablature numbers,
 but commenting that line still triggers this error.
These two files are copyrighted and I can't share them here, but I will send
 privately to anyone interested in debugging this issue.

On the surface it looks like a problem with ghostscript, but it's not
clear. If you remove all font changes does the error still occur? Can
you send on the verbose log for that?

Also, if you are willing to try it, see if adding the option
-dbackend=cairo (which should avoid calling ghostscript) also fails (you
may need libcairo or some such installed on your system for this).

It works great using the cairo backend!
I wanted to test it so I think I'll set it as default for all my scores. What are the current drawbacks? There's any page in the docs about cairo?

$ git grep -ni cairo Documentation/en/
Documentation/en/web/introduction.itexi:1435:a score editor based on the @uref{https://www.cairographics.org,Cairo}