Re: MacOS release help

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: MacOS release help
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 20:31:17 +0200

On Mon, 2022-10-17 at 17:05 -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 3:49 PM Alex Harker <ajharker@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > If I’m not correct about an installer then I don’t understand what
> > kind of app you were referring to when you said:
> >
> > > The other point that was raised in the past was packaging as a
> > > LilyPond.app and a .dmg that users are more familiar with.
>
> IMO, what we most want is an app bundle that can be easily relocated
> anywhere and that provides all of the binaries used by LilyPond.
> Frescobaldi can be pointed at that app bundle to run LilyPond.

I think we already have this, at least that was my goal when I created
the new infrastructure for building the binaries: The packages can be
installed to any directory, and can be moved around afterwards without
much restrictions (you cannot copy them if that makes you lose the
timestamps, but that's about it).

> The actual use case for me is to install LilyPond and Frescobaldi
> separately, and to have multiple versions of LilyPond installed on my
> Mac, but only a single version of Frescobaldi.

You can also have as many versions around as you want, and can happily
configure them into Frescobaldi. But maybe I'm ignoring what exactly
the benefit of an app bundle would be...

Jonas