Re: Is a texi2any upgrade still wanted, and what would it take? (WAS: Re

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Is a texi2any upgrade still wanted, and what would it take? (WAS: Re: New Lilypond logo?)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 18:43:14 +0200

Le 24/10/2022 à 18:09, Karlin High a écrit :
I understand there is a technical-debt issue in this area, though. Related to an old version of Texinfo, and the older texi2html vs the newer texi2any. Which is to generate the website concurrently with the rest of the documentation.

Yes.

Near as I can tell, this reference best captures the issue:

<https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1557>

I have had my eye on this area as a potential future personal project, a long-term seasons-of-code level effort.

However, my levels of Linux development know-how are quite varied. What foundational knowledge would be needed for that effort? Reading the texinfo 1.82 manual, as well as a newer version?

The work amounts to:

- Reading and understanding the contents of our
  Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init texi2html configuration file
  (over a thousand lines of Perl code), and porting that to texi2any.

- Along the way, identifying what features are missing in texi2any,
  and asking upstream to implement them; the maintainer expressed
  willingness to do that just today:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-texinfo/2022-10/msg00006.html

- Amending the build system to search and invoke texi2any instead of texi2html   (in configure.ac, Documentation/GNUmakefile, etc.), and building updated Docker
  images for the GitLab CI system.

- Possibly revamping (?) the way cross-references work
  (scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames, etc.) to cater for the new tool.

Don't be mistaken: this is a large undertaking.

Personally, my dream would be to switch to a different documentation
tool entirely, like Sphinx, which supports HTML, LaTeX and Texinfo
output, with extensive HTML customization possibilities, and would
not need so much build system fuss (lilypond-book etc.), and supports
internationalization via po files on top of that. But that is going to
be controversial and the amount of work is magnitudes larger :)

Best,
Jean