Re: Alignment in figured bass

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Alignment in figured bass
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 23:01:23 +0100

Hi Jean,

With your changes to figured bass in 2.23.12, this snippet
no longer has the '+' centered below '7':

\version "2.23.11"

\new FiguredBass {
  \figuremode {
    <7 _\+>
  }
}

Do you consider this a problem?

(I am ignorant about figured bass, there is just a user
on lilypond-user-fr, who is using 2.23.80, asking how to
center the digit).

Well, I'm only 70% ignorant about figured bass, but I honestly have no idea in which situation one would use this signature, nor what its meaning should be.

The common figures like

\version "2.23.11"

\new FiguredBass {
  \figuremode {
  }
}

all look great with Werner's changes.

Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that the notation the user wants to use shouldn't be supported, but there's a chance that it might not be such a great idea to use it in the first place.

Lukas