Re: Alignment in figured bass

From: Jean-Julien Fleck
Subject: Re: Alignment in figured bass
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 08:58:35 +0100

Hello,

I happen to be the one asking the question and I'm also following
lilypond-devel (hoping I will one day have enough time and enough knowledge
to join the team but that's another story), so allow me to dive into the
discussion.

Le sam. 12 nov. 2022 à 06:51, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> a écrit :

> > Well, I'm only 70% ignorant about figured bass, but I honestly have
> > no idea in which situation one would use this signature, nor what
> > its meaning should be.
>
> ... Lukas is right :-)

It's seems to be a very «franco-french» notation but denoting a pretty
important chord in tonal harmony: the dominant seventh.
You can see it on the french wikipedia page (cf
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accord_de_septième_de_dominante_avec_fondamentale#Enchaînement_ordinaire_de_la_septième_de_dominante_avec_fondamentale
examples A and B). The + sign stands for the leading-tone which accidental
is never indicated (in french notation), it has to be deduced from the
notation.

I also checked in my book « Théorie de la musique » by A. Danhauser (1994
version) where you can find the attached table (page 130) in which you will
see the + appearing in other chords too (all related to the leading-tone)

A fellow french user gave me a work-around, something like

septplus=\markup\center-column{ \fontsize #-5 \number "7" \raise #1.5
\fontsize #-3  "+"}

then <\septplus> in \figuremode, but it would be nice to have a direct way
to enter it and some examples in the documentation.

JJ Fleck
Physique et Informatique
PCSI1 Lycée Kléber