Re: Can Guile v3.0.8 be part of the LilyPond v2.24 release?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Can Guile v3.0.8 be part of the LilyPond v2.24 release?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 21:33:12 +0100

On Mon, 2022-11-14 at 18:31 +0100, Volodymyr Prokopyuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that LilyPond v2.23.81 depends on Guile v2.2.
>
> On Linux Arch systems (e. g. Manjaro) Guile v3.0.8 is installed by default.
>
> Currently LilyPond v2.23.81 requires Guile v2.2 as a mandatory dependency,
> which makes installation of the latest Lilypond versions from source
> problematic on Linux Arch systems.

After the first release candidate, I was in contact with (one of) the
Arch Linux maintainer for LilyPond. I hope I can convince him to bring
back guile2.2 (and finally drop guile1.8 which lilypond was the only
package to keep alive).

> How difficult the migration from Guile v2.2 to Guile v3.0.8 is for
> LilyPond? Can the migration be part of the LilyPond v2.24 release?

As answered by Jean, it is possible to build LilyPond with Guile 3.0
but it is for sure not recommended right now due to less testing and
will not be found by default during the 2.24 cycle.