Download links

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Download links
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:25:08 +0100

Hello,

The new releases of LilyPond show how simple it is currently to install the
program: it is simply a matter of unpacking an archive wherever you want.

This is very powerful and it means that any application (see: editors)
using LilyPond is potentially able to install it automagically, without
forcing the user to do this task manually, by downloading the archive from
the download page and unpacking it in some internal directory .

However, I notice a problem with this: the download page for new releases
is currently only on GitLab. I don't know if these download links are
stable enough or suitable to be used by a program that relies on them in
order to install the application. For example, for JavaScript libraries, a
content delivery service like cdnjs (https://cdnjs.com/) ensures the
stability of download links.

What do you think? Is it worth having at least a mirror of the download
links on a website like cdnjs?

Best,
Paolo