Re: Download links

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Download links
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:07:09 +0100

On Sat, 2022-11-26 at 22:25 +0100, Paolo Prete wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The new releases of LilyPond show how simple it is currently to install the
> program: it is simply a matter of unpacking an archive wherever you want.
>
> This is very powerful and it means that any application (see: editors)
> using LilyPond is potentially able to install it automagically, without
> forcing the user to do this task manually, by downloading the archive from
> the download page and unpacking it in some internal directory .
>
> However, I notice a problem with this: the download page for new releases
> is currently only on GitLab. I don't know if these download links are
> stable enough or suitable to be used by a program that relies on them in
> order to install the application.

Yes, the (binary) releases being on GitLab only is intentional because
it saves "us" from hosting them on lilypond.org. The download paths
shown on the release page should (hopefully) be stable, at least we
tell GitLab explicitly that we want them to have that filename under
downloads/. They should also be easily constructible, that's what we do
to link them on the website.

> For example, for JavaScript libraries, a content delivery service like
> cdnjs (https://cdnjs.com/) ensures the stability of download links.
>
> What do you think? Is it worth having at least a mirror of the download
> links on a website like cdnjs?

I'm not against it, but cdn*js* doesn't sound like a good fit for us
and I guess most other CDN services cost some amount of money?

Jonas