Re: Contributor guide not mentioned for 2.24

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Contributor guide not mentioned for 2.24
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 12:01:23 +0100

On Sat, 2022-12-31 at 19:59 +0000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> While
>
>   https://lilypond.org/development.html
>
> mentions the CG, it is missing from
>
>   https://lilypond.org/manuals.html
>
> Is this intentional?

I think it is, nobody is supposed to contribute directly to a "stable"
version; that is what we have "development" versions for. IMO this
makes perfect sense.

> Since the CG contains the build instructions it
> might be useful for 2.24 too, especially for package maintainers...

Build instructions are also included in the tarball (INSTALL.txt).
Additionally, we already see for 2.24 that package maintainers are not
even reading the Changes document, which is basically linked from
everywhere next to downloads. I don't see how having a link to the CG
for this arguably minority group is going to help.

Jonas