Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...

From: Luca Fascione
Subject: Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 10:37:58 +0100

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 10:11 AM Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com>
wrote:

> I have no idea what "hel" is supposed to be referring to

If I remember right, in a previous post Hassan had indicated "hel" to be a
shorthand for his name _H_assan _El_ Fatihi.

FWIW, I would have found it more natural to shorten the name as "hf" or
"hef", as "el" is just a definite article in Arabic
and is as such part of a fair few family names (like it's the case in
French and Italian with prefixes like "De" or "D'" or
German's "von" and so on, I guess "hel" is as if Beethoven's file would be
called "lvon-sonata.ly", it's... strange),
but obviously that's Hassan's choice.

In saying this, I do find awkward and in poor form to have files called
with a pattern like "johns-ballad.ly" in the general repo,
it seems like we could easily find a better name for this file, more
descriptive of its purpose and less related to the original author.

Luca Fascione