Re: Shorthand for \repeat unfold for individual notes

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Shorthand for \repeat unfold for individual notes
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 16:02:31 -0800

On 2023-01-23 3:46 pm, Carl Sorensen wrote:
a8**3 is 5 key strokes.
a8 8 8 is 6 key strokes.
In exchange for saving one key stroke, I have a new operator to remember (and get confused about) and to maintain changes to the lexer and parser.

It's not all about saving key strokes, but documenting intent and removing code duplication.

I get the lack of utility of \repeat unfold (14 keystrokes) for short music expressions (like a single note). But I don't think that ** is intuitive
enough to use it.
If there were an alternative operator that would not mess up lookahead and would not suffer with the confusion between * and ** (people already think
* does your proposed **), I could be convinced.

Well, blame my email program, as it truncated my original post. I had intended to fully call out that ** is exponentiation in some language, thus might not be the best symbol.

But this discussion is quickly devolving into needless dissection of details. If you object at the high-level, let us not waste time at the low-level.

-- Aaron Hill