Re: Text font installation

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Text font installation
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 13:48:30 +0100

On Thu, 2023-03-02 at 13:17 +0100, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> ArchLinux gets it almost right, however I think that TeX Gyre fonts
> should be made required, https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/77700.
> Manjaro takes the package from ArchLinux.

FWIW I strongly disagree here: 99.9% of the users are fine without the
extra fonts, so it should not be made mandatory. I've commented on the
bug report, and I'd appreciate to discuss things upstream first before
running to all downstreams and recommending them something else.

> Debian also made the fonts-texgyre package optional. I've opened
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1855 to
> document that they should be required and posted about this on
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1026200 (should
> appear soon).

Same here. Actually even more, apt installs recommended dependencies by
default IIRC, but the user is free to not install the extra fonts.