Re: Is it time to update the Finale 2008 sample in Essay?

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Is it time to update the Finale 2008 sample in Essay?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 12:00:00 -0600

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 4:11 PM David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 5:27 PM Abraham Lee <tisimst.lilypond@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, Jean, for doing that. I was hoping for a more public discussion
> >> see if creating an issue is even warranted. The essay is a historical
> >> document, to be sure, so updating the comparison files might not be
> needed
> >> at all.
> >
> > I agree to this. It is better to simply put a small intro to the essay
> > that gives the context.
> >
> > We could then add an updated preface/postscriptum that puts it in
> > context for 2023. To note, a lot of modern music engravers have taken
> > inspiration from the LilyPond attitude to engraving. The Dorico blog
> > posts have been quite explicit about it, and maybe we could ask the
> > MuseScore folks for comments too.
>
> For better or worse, I think the main selling point of LilyPond these
> days is not as much quality as workflow.

I think the engraving quality aspect is definitely still there in many
ways, but maybe a bit more nuanced and not so obvious to the casual user
(i.e., only if you know what to look for).

I do, agree, however, that the workflow is a HUGE reason I still use LP for
anything and everything I need to create, especially when I know someone
else is going to use it. Is LP always the fastest method to enter content?
No it's not, but does it allow some of the most amazing flexibility when
creating multiple kinds of scores using the same source content?
Unequivocally yes! No other software comes even close. I think the only
thing that Dorico has advertised that I haven't figured out how to do
automagically in LP is the Primo/Secondo layout for multi-person piano
scores (or similar). Does anyone know of a way? It's not a big deal to me
since I almost never create them, but would be cool to figure out at some
point.

Best,
Abraham