Re: Is it time to update the Finale 2008 sample in Essay?

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Is it time to update the Finale 2008 sample in Essay?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 15:21:33 -0600

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 3:13 PM Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 5:27 PM Abraham Lee <tisimst.lilypond@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 6:17 AM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Le mercredi 15 mars 2023 à 00:57 +0100, Jean Abou Samra a écrit :
> > >
> > > Le mardi 14 mars 2023 à 17:44 -0600, Abraham Lee a écrit :
> > >
> > > At the time I started with LP, the Finale 2008 example wasn't that old
> > > in the Essay section. Is it really fair for us to continue showing this
> > > since quite a few versions have been released since then? I mean,
> Finale 27
> > > has been out since June 2021 and is now at 27.3. I'm not saying the
> > > example is bad, nor doesn't it illustrate a historical
> > > piece of evidence clarifying why LP was needed. I guess I'm wondering
> if
> > > it's worth creating a new set of examples to show why it's *still*
> needed,
> > > even after all these years? Thoughts?
> > >
> > > I suggest you open a tracker issue.
> > >
> > > I have done it now, https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6547
> > >

> > Thanks, Jean, for doing that. I was hoping for a more public discussion
> > see if creating an issue is even warranted. The essay is a historical
> > document, to be sure, so updating the comparison files might not be
> needed
> > at all.
>
> I agree to this. It is better to simply put a small intro to the essay
> that gives the context.
>
> We could then add an updated preface/postscriptum that puts it in
> context for 2023. To note, a lot of modern music engravers have taken
> inspiration from the LilyPond attitude to engraving. The Dorico blog
> posts have been quite explicit about it, and maybe we could ask the
> MuseScore folks for comments too.

Hey, Han-wen! Thanks for chiming in! You would certainly know better than
anyone the context of the statements/examples in the essay. And, yes, the
other apps certainly have taken inspiration from LP's output, which is part
of why I wasn't sure which the right answer would be. I am strongly leaning
towards modifying the context of what's there to keep things in the
appropriate perspective with the competition.

Best,
Abraham