Fwd: Two-voice/shifting problem

From: Jérémie Lumbroso
Subject: Fwd: Two-voice/shifting problem
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 12:13:33 +0200

This is a forwarded message
From: Jérémie Lumbroso <address@hidden>
To: Daniel Burrows <address@hidden>
Date: Saturday, September 01, 2001, 12:10:57 PM
Subject: Two-voice/shifting problem

Hello Daniel,

DB>   I'm trying to figure out how to typeset a scrap of piano music which (at
DB> the point I'm stuck on) has two `voices' in one hand.  This being piano
DB> music, one voice is playing a series of chords while the other one is held
DB> throughout the measure.

DB>   The problem is that the voices are intermingled, so simply putting them
DB> on top of one another causes unpleasant overlapping of the stems.  The
DB> solution is to shift one of the voices left or right (for an example of
DB> this, see the Henle Urtext edition of the Sarabande from
DB> Debussy's Pour le Piano)

I  think  Lilypond  has  built-in system to prevent notehead
collision.  Is  it's  the stems that are bothering you, have
you  tried using \stemUp and \stemDown to explicitly specify
in  which  direction  they should be (use \stemBoth after to
let Lilypond manage it). Look at the following example :

% This is only two measures (in 9/8)

% Here is where two voices melt together.
<
    \context Voice = vi {
             \stemUp
             \times 2/4 {[des8 f] ~ [f des]} ~
    }
    \context Voice = vii {
             \stemDown
             bes2. ~
    }
> \stemBoth |
[ <bes8 des> <aes c> <bes des> ] <aes2. c> ~

--
Best regards,
 Jérémie                            mailto:address@hidden