Re: Two-voice/shifting problem

From: Daniel Burrows
Subject: Re: Two-voice/shifting problem
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 07:22:50 -0400

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:10:57PM +0200, Jérémie Lumbroso <address@hidden> was
heard to say:
> DB> the point I'm stuck on) has two `voices' in one hand.  This being piano
> DB> music, one voice is playing a series of chords while the other one is held
> DB> throughout the measure.
>
> DB>   The problem is that the voices are intermingled, so simply putting them
> DB> on top of one another causes unpleasant overlapping of the stems.  The
> DB> solution is to shift one of the voices left or right (for an example of
> DB> this, see the Henle Urtext edition of the Sarabande from
> DB> Debussy's Pour le Piano)
>
> I  think  Lilypond  has  built-in system to prevent notehead
> collision.  Is  it's  the stems that are bothering you, have
> you  tried using \stemUp and \stemDown to explicitly specify
> in  which  direction  they should be (use \stemBoth after to
> let Lilypond manage it). Look at the following example :

  Yes..the problem is that the notes are typeset vertically on top of
each other, so even if the stems point opposite directions,
I'm out of luck.

  Your example has two voices, but they are vertically distinct.  I'm
working with piano music, where some notes in the center of a chord
can be held while the other notes move around them.  I'm less tired this
morning :) so I've typed up a quick-and-dirty score illustrating my
problem and my solution.  It's attached.

  Daniel

--
/-------------------- Daniel Burrows <address@hidden> --------------------\
|              Will the last person to leave the Universe please              |