midi to ly conversion

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: midi to ly conversion
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:25:00 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Unfortunately, midi2ly does a poor job combining notes on a staff,
> giving five voices, when in reality only two is needed. I estimate that
> Combining them by hand is as big a job as typing them in from scratch.
>
> So my next try was to import them in Rosegarden[4]. Rosegarden does a much
> better job combining voices. But alas, the only export option viable is
> PMX, which the pmx2ly input filter chokes on.

Doesn't Rosegarden (or any other sequencer) export MIDI?  If you
export the separate parts as MIDI, midi2ly will have an easier job.

> So what to do? Does anyone have a solution (either a better midi2ly or a
> way to export from rosegarden to ly, or a completely different
> approach)?

To be honest, I have never had much interest in midi2ly, and Jan seems
to have lost his taste for it, but there is much room for improvement
in midi2ly.

> Another option would be to beg for help from anyone using encore, to
> export them into a more lilypond-friendly format.

Or, another option, someone could reverse engineer .enc format.  It's
a pity that the format is binary, that makes a little harder to
scrutinize. In the end, ETF (finale format) wasn't so difficult. You
only have to have a place to start with.