Re: midi to ly conversion

From: Martin Norbäck
Subject: Re: midi to ly conversion
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:04:54 +0200

2001-09-20 15:25:08+0200, Joerg Anders <address@hidden> ->
> > It seems to work relatively good. It output stem directions even though
> > I told it not to (easy to remove).
>
> ... this is a misunderstanding! The checkbox is named
> "keep stem dir.", not "omit stem statements"! It is no
> good idea to omit all stem statements in LilyPond.
> This can produce a chaos.

Well, maybe.

> For example: Try to delete the "\stemUp" in the following
> example and see what happens...
>
>       \include "paper20.ly"
>       \score {
>               \notes\relative c' {
>                       \clef violin
>                       \stemUp < e2 d' > r
>                       \bar "|."
>               }
>
>       }

This is not because of the \stem*, it's because lilypond creates two
voice contexts if there is no voice context and it's finding a parallell
composition.

Since the noteedit lilypond export creates a separate voice context for
each voice, this doesn't happen.

As I said, it's easy to remove. I prefer to keep \stem* directives
outside the voice, this makes combining parts much easier, if i want to
combine soprano and alto on one staff on the full score, and separate
them on my special choir score for instance.

Regards,

        Martin

--
[ http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d95mback/ ] [ PGP: 0x453504F1 ] [ UIN: 4439498 ]
    Opinions expressed above are mine, and not those of my future employees.