install/setup working (I think)

From: David Bobroff
Subject: install/setup working (I think)
Date: 24 Jul 2003 18:06:28 +0000

> >Now when I run Lilypond it is asking for
> > files:
> >
> > lilyponddefs.tex (I put a copy in /usr/share/texmf/tex/lilypond/
> > lilyponddefs.ps (I put a copy in /usr/share/texmf/dvips/lilypond/
>
> don't do this. You'll shoot yourself again when Lilypond when we
> upgrade lilyponddefs.* and you forget to remove those.

Ok, I've undone it.

> >A typical setting would be
> >
> > {/usr/share/lilypond/1.6.0,{!!/usr/share/texmf}}
> >
> > I understand that TEXMF needs to know where the stuff is but I don't
> > really understand the "typical setting" and exactly what I am
> supposed
> > to do with it.
>
> what does
>
> echo $TEXMF say?

I think I have this figured out, too.  My problem is that I know just
enough about TeX stuff to really cock things up.  I've now got this line
in texmf.cnf:

TEXMF =
{!!$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN,{/usr/local/share/lilypond/1.7.28}}

If I do

echo $TEXMF

I get a blank line and then I'm at the # prompt.

At least I think I understand the TEXMF thing now.  This makes teTeX
look at the place where 'make install' put all the Lily stuff.  When the
version changes it is simply a matter of changing the version number in
texmf.cnf (have I got that right?).  That makes it a simple matter to
run an older version, too, right?  When a change is made in texmf.cnf
what command is then run to update it?  When font things are added or a
package is installed I do 'texhash'.  Is that the thing to do?

It seems to be working now.

-David Bobroff