RE: notation apps

From: d
Subject: RE: notation apps
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:19:27 -0500

Thanks for the info and encouragement.  I'd like to comment on some of what
was said in this thread...

> I understand that if you are used to a graphic interface it can seem a
> bit awkward at first to enter all the notes as a stream of ASCII text.
> It is worth the time spent to get comfortable with this.  The LilyPond
> team is doing for music what the LaTeX team is doing for text.
>-David Bobroff

>Neither am I. I have tried Denemo and Noteedit and after learning abcm
>and now lilypond, I find that ascii music entry is much easier than gui.
>Aaron

The text input aspect of Lilypond does seem awkward and a bit overwhelming,
but after reading your posts it made me think about the amount of time I put
in to learning Finale.  Even though Finale and Sibelius are both "graphical"
you still have to learn "how" to enter the notes, and setting a full score
in one of those programs can be a huge job if you don't know all the tricks.

I think I will now take a dive into Lilypond and see how long it takes me to
learn the basics.  Hey, that could be a good tag line for pushing Lilypond.
"Take a dive into Lilypond and refresh your musical experience."  ;)

Thanks again,
David