Re: "inline" (scoped) definitions?

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: "inline" (scoped) definitions?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:18:19 -0500

Hello, Erik:

I like your suggestion, it is something I sometimes have wanted to use. In
some situations it makes life easier (like, if you have some special
\property tweak which you find yourself using several times within one block, it's kind of irritating to have to move out a definition outside the block).

Agreed!

What scope you were thinking that the "inline" variables/definitions would have? Would they be global definitions, or would they be just within the
current {} block?
(the latter would be more in my taste; feels cleaner somehow, and you won't
have to clobber the global namespace for definitions that only are used
locally)

But best might be the ability to define \global and \local, kind of like some programming languages, yes?

Of course, it would be important to determine whether the new syntax or mechanism would be in any way an obstacle to newbies -- if it were transparent (i.e., did not change current syntax but provided additional power to more experienced users), that would be great.

Best regards,
Kieren.