Re: Linebreaks in fragments & Lily-book

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: Linebreaks in fragments & Lily-book
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:25:45 -0700

On Thursday March 25 2004 15:53, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > At least in 2.1.34, it certainly splits into several lines, however
> > I'm afraid that raggedright doesn't do exactly what you expect,
> > especially it's not similar to what you get with \raggedright in
> > LaTeX.
> > What LilyPond does with this option, is that it breaks the lines at
> > the same places as it would if you had not given the option. But,
> > instead of squeezing together or widening the spacing, it uses the
> > default spacing, which means that some of the resulting lines may be
> > far too long and some far too short.
>
> Not true, it will not make lines longer than the linelength; this is a
> problem if the natural length of a single measure is longer than the
> linewidth.
>

> Bostjan, if the above is not the case, then can you submit a failing
> sample? You only need to submit the lily-XXXX.ly file.

  I've had the irregularly large measure case myself; in Chompin's Nocturne,
one measure is written 'approximately' as the following:

     <ces ces'>2.(\ff_\markup { \bold \italic "senza tempo" } <bes
bes'>)\fermata \acciaccatura { ces16[-3\p\<_\markup { \bold \italic "a
tempo" } bes-2 c-4 a]-1 \repeat unfold 7 { ces[ bes c a] } ces[\!\f bes c a]
ces[ bes c a] ces[ bes c a] ces[\>\dim bes c a] ces[ bes d\!-5 c]
bes[_\markup { \bold \italic "rall." } a-1 aes-4 g] f[_\markup { \bold
\italic "smorz." } d-1 ees-3 c-1] #(set-octavation 0) bes'8[-4 aes-3 c,-1
d-3] } | %slur

The piece has some errors I have yet to work out; the grace notes here are
actually typeset at the end of the measure rather at the beginning of the
next measure, in the original piece.
  I now have a 'copyright renewed 1943' edition which might fix some of the
mistakes, but then I don't think it could be on mutopiaproject right? I just
need to see if I can determine the fixes based on other similar parts in the
music, but I didn't remember seeing much god stuff there.