Re: Help getting started - lilypond structure

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Help getting started - lilypond structure
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:59:17 +0200

On Friday 04 June 2004 14.36, Joe Neeman wrote:
> This is a follow-up on the question of lilypond structure. Here is how I
> think a lilypond file is organised. It is fairly important that I get
> this right, because I am trying to rewrite the lily parser in denemo.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is quite much more to say on this issue.

> A Voice consists of a sequence of notes and various other objects (like
> time signatures, etc). The notes are entirely sequential.
>
> A \notes block consists of one or more Voice contexts. The Voices can be
> arranged sequentially or in parallel or a combination of both.

\notes just tells you about the input mode (there is \notes and \lyrics). Even
this should be a valid score:

\score {
\notes <<
\new Staff {c d e}
\new Staff \context Voice=A {f g h}
\lyricsto A \new Lyrics \lyrics { this should work }

}

(though it might be considered a bit obfuscated)

> A Staff consists of one or more \notes blocks. The blocks can be
> arranged sequentially or in parallel or a combination of both.
>
> A \score block consists of one or more Staves. The Staves can be
> arranged seqentially or in parallel or a combination of both.
>
> Additionally, staves can be grouped (in parallel only) into Piano
> Staves, Grand Staves, Choir Staves and several other group types. These
> groups can be included in a \score block in the same way single staves are.
>
> TIA,
> Joe
>
> PS, if I have "\notes{a4 b << {c d} {e f} >> }", then the {c d} by
> itself is a Voice context, right? And so is {e f}?

It is if you use \\, as in:
What you wrote will be in the same Voice context, so the block is actually
equivalent to:
\notes {a4 b <c e> <d f>}.

Erik