Re: ps2pdf dropping title and incorrect segno (funny "J")

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: ps2pdf dropping title and incorrect segno (funny "J")
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:35:45 -0400

    Paul> This may not be a Lilypond problem but using Pedro's Debian
    Paul> 2.3.6 packages the dvi and ps files are fine but the title
    Paul> is omitted from the pdf's.  I have uninstalled Lily 2.2.5
    Paul> and reinstalled 2.3.6 which may have fixed a related font
    Paul> problem.  Now just running Lilypond gives a title for the
    Paul> pdf but a "scripts-segno" is not correct until I rerun
    Paul> dvips.  Then when I rerun ps2pdf the title is chopped off.

    Paul> TIA for any ideas,

It's sounds like an a4/letterpaper problem.  That is, your pdf file is
somehow assuming a4 paper, when the page generated is actually letter.
So the title gets chopped off, since A4 islonger and narrower than
letter.

I somehow always manage to get those fixed, often by writing mailing
lists like this one, but I don't claim to really understand where any
of these tools are getting their idea of what kind of paper you have
in your printer.    It seems unnecessarily complicated and error-prone
to me.

But I've had fewer problems like this since I started having my script
that runs lilypond say:

     lilypond  --set=papersize="letter" <name>.ly

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139