Re: lilypond Pukes Thanks to Fink/TeTeX

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond Pukes Thanks to Fink/TeTeX
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:42:13 +0100

The thing is that LilyPond uses the file lookup mechanism used
in teTeX (the so-called kpathsea library) to be certain to find
the same files as the TeX related programs. If the distribution
you mention uses the same library, then it might be fairly easy,
otherwise it can get really messy.
However, since the coming versions of LilyPond generate Postscript
or PDF output directly, without using TeX, the situation will
probably change.

   /Mats

David Rogers wrote:

Matthias Neeracher wrote:

To get the TeTeX upgrade to complete:

- run "fink update tetex". If it fails...
- Open a new shell window and run it again.
- This is due to the init script the lilypond package installs.

As a side question to this - should it be (theoretically) possible to build Lilypond using the non-Fink distribution of TeX made by Gerben Wierda? I tried it once, but ran into problems with Lilypond complaining that it couldn't find some things in the /sw directory - but of course the TeX items weren't there, because they were in /usr instead.

If I tinker with it, should I be able to get it to work? Or are there some items found only in the Fink distribution of TeX that Lilypond needs?

Many thanks
David