Problem with Macintosh installation

From: Brett Smith
Subject: Problem with Macintosh installation
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 15:06:21 -0500

I'm running OS 10.3.8
I have installed X11 1.0 - XFree86 4.3.0 from the Apple developer site
I also have installed the Xcode tools etc.
Using fink I installed the latest lilypond (2.2.5)
Installation appeared to be successful, however, when I attempt to run a .ly file (my own test file, mutopia files, or the included test files I get an error.
The command I type is:
/sw/bin/lilypond test.ly (or whatever the file name is)
This is the result:
lilypond (GNU LilyPond) 2.2.5
lilypond: error: `kpsexpand \$TEXMF' failed (127)
lilypond: error: The error log is as follows:
sh: line 1: kpsexpand: command not found

the shell that I'm using is the default bash shell. I am just beginning to get into using unix and so please try to be specific in your answers. I tried searching the list for answers but didn't find any. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Brett Smith