Putting the bars on the staff instead of the score

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Putting the bars on the staff instead of the score
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:55:49 -0500

Here is a simple test file, which I think should have only one end
repeat in the second staff, but which gives two.  I'm still unable to
convert all my big projects to current lilypond, so I'm still using
lilypond 2.0.1.

This was an attempt to simplify the next file, which has the right
number of end-repeat signs, but is missing all the barlines.

What I'm really trying to do is to lay out a theme and variations in a
"score" format so that you can see which sixteenth note corresponds to
what note in the original theme.  The last variation has a flourish at the
end which is longer than the original theme or the other variations.

Editorially, you could argue that Van Eyck really meant to not repeat
the flourish, but to do it only on the actual last time, but nobody
else prints it that way, and I don't want to confuse anyone at the
masterclass I'm playing next week.

I've used the trick to move the   "Timing_engraver" and the
"Repeat_acknowledge_engraver" from the score context to the staff
context before, but always in the context of proofreading unbarred
music.  This music is a little later than that, and should have the
barlines.

My question is, how do I get rid of the score repeats but not the
regular barlines?

A less important but still confusing question is, why are the bars
different in the test file from the real file?

I can deal with an answer that requires 2.4, if that's easier than
answering in the context of 2.0.  But converting the 2.0  files to
2.4 directly doesn't produce usable output.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139