Re: graphics gripe

From: Daniel Johnson
Subject: Re: graphics gripe
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:58:52 -0700

Aaron Mehl wrote:

1. could someone else try an svg from lilypond and see
if it works for them in scribus? If not this might be
a bug.

2. is there a way to pass resolution parameters to the
backend that is making the png files?
Two things I recently found out about SVG:

1. Since every implementation of an SVG renderer is different, since the SVG standard is a bit fluid, and since Lilypond SVG output is necessarily complex, the developers have settled upon Inkscape as the SVG renderer/editor that they will target. Single-page (see item 2 below) Lilypond SVG output is openable in Inkscape. Possibly Inkscape could save it in a format that other SVG renderers are happier with... I haven't tried.

2. There is no SVG standard for multi-page documents, so multi-page Lilypond SVG output will not render correctly in any SVG renderer. In Inkscape, it will just overlap all the pages on a single page. Han-Wen has let it be known that the ability to burst pages for SVG output is a feature that would cost 80 EUR. I am planning on at least partially sponsoring this in a few weeks when I get some money, but if someone else wants to beat me to it, please be my guest... I have other features on my wish-list that I can devote my money to.

--Daniel