Re: Vertical spacing tweaks.

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Vertical spacing tweaks.
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:04:09 -0500

On 9/22/05, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Han-Wen,
>
> I'm almost certainly down for EUR 130 but first I have two questions;
> they're in-line:
>
> On 9/20/05, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Fairchild wrote:
> > > Not from me, but there have been many postings from individuals struggling
> > > with page layout vertical springs.  Suggest you ask the user list, with a
> > > short description of the feature.  (Or maybe "anti-feature" :-) )
> >
> > I could implement the following:
> >

> > - add a property
> >
> >      line-break-system-details
> >
> > to NonMusicalPaperColumn
> >

> > - This is an alist of properties, that are applied to the
> > system following a line-break at that point.
> >
> > It could support the following properties:
> >
> >      Y-extent -- set the vertical size of the system (used as vertical
> > "rods")
> >
> >      Y-refpoint-extent -- set the vertical size of the refpoints (used
> > as vertical "springs")
> >
> > PRICE: 130 euro
> >

> > In addition, I could also make an
> >
> >      alignment-stretch-factor -- scale parameters used for vertical
> > alignments.
> >
> > This would make it possible to set the distance between staves in
> > individual staves easily.
> >
> > PRICE: 130 euro
> >

> > With these feature in place, it would be possible to control vertical
> > spacing after line breaks.  Of course, it's up to the user to force
> > certain breakpoints.
>
> First question: how do these two features differ? If feature #1 lets
> you specify spacing details immediately after (or before?) a \break or
> \pageBreak, then doesn't that give 100% control over vertical spacing
> to the user (thereby making feature #2 unnecessary)? Or perhaps #2
> adds some additional control above and beyond #1?
>

> > If there is sufficient interest, I can also include a -ddump-breaks ,
> > which writes a
> >
> >    line-breaks.ly
> >
> > file, containing
> >

> >    breakLayout = { \skip 1*4
> >      \break
> >      \skip 1*3/4
> >      \break
> >      \pageBreak
> >        .. etc ..
> >    }
> >
> > so that you can use page and line break layout, by doing
> >
> >    \score {
> >       <<  ..my Music..
> >           \breakLayout
> >       >>
> >    }
> >

> > PRICE: 130 euro
>
> Second question: would this feature #3 be any different than making
> the contents of breakLayout into a Voice added to any of the existing
> Staves in the score? For example:
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new Staff <<
>         \myRealMusic
>         \breakLayout
>     >>
>     \new Staff \moreMusic
> [...]

I clicked "send" too quickly.

Third question: would either feature #1, #2 or #3 afford the following ability:

To be able to set both the *very topmost* staffline on a page (ie, the
top staffline of the top staff of the top system of the page) at an
exact vertical distance from the top of the page and the *very
bottommost* staffline on a page (ie, the bottom staffline of the
bottom staff of the bottom system of the page) at an exact vertical
distance from the bottom of the page? (The point being to be able to
make the topmost stafflines and bottommost stafflines align vertically
on facing pages (or to even more strictly force those distances
constant throughout an entire score.))

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden