Re: symphonic, continuos movements, percussion, midi

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: symphonic, continuos movements, percussion, midi
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:17:46 +0100

Basically, what you are doing is
\score{
{ \mark ...
  <<
     \context StaffGroup ...

This means that you first typeset the mark, then start setting up the
StaffGroup with a number of Staffs. What happens is that LilyPond
needs at least a Staff to be able to handle the \mark command, therefore
it creates one as soon as it sees the \mark command.
The simple solution is to move your \mark command into one of your
Staffs, for example

thevineI= {
<<
        \context StaffGroup ="madeiras"
        <<
                \new Staff {\mark ... \fluteINotes }

   /Mats

alexandre reche e silva wrote:

Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> ee.kth.se> writes:

Quoting alexandre reche e silva <recheesilva <at> yahoo.com.br>:

I still need help because of a strange side effect: using /mark to
"titling" adds a empty staff at the top of the others?!?! (This is really
embarrassing. Imagine. An uninvited blank top staff...).
If you include short but complete example .ly file that illustrates
this problem, it will be much easier for us to tell what mistake you do.

   /Mats

Peace and Health in Jesus Christ

Well, the task of reduce a symphonic piece to a "short but complete example"
was finally done. Nevertheless, the ensemble was reduced to flute and oboe
only, and just the first section was quoted bellow (because I don't know yet
how to attach a .ly file to this post). You will witness the strange effect of
a ghost staff (probably a side effect from self-teaching ;)

\score {
  {
     \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #-1
     \override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #4.0
     \mark "I - This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." \thevineI
     %\mark "II - This is my beloved Son; hear him" \thevineII
     %\override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #0.8
     %\mark "III - I have both glorified [it], and will glorify [it] again."
     %\thevineIII
  }
\midi {\tempo 4=116 }
  \layout {}