Re: lilypond-book

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond-book
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:38:58 +0200

Unfortunately, there are some problems with lilypond-book, convert-ly,
midi2ly and some other utilities on Windows, since they are implemented
using a scripting language called Python and the version of Python which
is included in the LilyPond package is broken.

A workaround is described in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-04/msg00363.html

However, with lilypond-book there are a couple of additional problem in Windows:

- The python version included with LilyPond will still interfere, so you have to
 run lilypond-book using the following command
python "C:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin\lilypond-book.py" -o out --psfonts myfile.lytex

- You have to run it twice. The first time you run it, it will end with an error message but if you just run the same command another time, it will work fine.

  /Mats

bubba wrote:

I've having trouble using lilypond-book.  I'm a brand new lilypond user - I just
installed it two days ago for the first time.  I can use lilypond just fine, but
I haven't been able to figure out how to use lilypond-book.  I'm running Windows
XP and lilypond 2.8.0.1.  I've read through the tutorial section on
lilypond-book and the user manual section on it (although I didn't see any
difference between them).  I've tried different options.  I've read through the
mailing list archive - not much help for a complete newbie.  And, I still
haven't been able to get it to work.

Overall, I think lilypond is awesome.  My brother is a musician getting his
masters/doctorate.  He's home for the summer and I fully intend on getting him
hooked on this program.  But, I want to get lilypond-book to work first.  I
would appreciate any pointers anyone can give me.

~bubba

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems