Re: Beginners first attempt

From: Colin Wilding
Subject: Re: Beginners first attempt
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 06:45:35 -0700 (PDT)

There are quite a few ways in which you could make your life easier here, I
think.

1.  You should be able to use variables for chords - you didn't put the
contents of Chords.ly in your email so I can't see why it didn't work; a
definition like this works ok:

gDown = { <gis dis' gis' b' dis'' gis''>4 \downbow }

Once the chord is in a variable you can't then attach markup to it later
(and you have to put the \downbow in the definition too).  However...

2.  You don't need to add all the chord names as text.  You can enter them
directly as music in 'chordmode' and then put them above your music staff.
And...

3.  Other text, such as "Intro" can probably be entered as a \mark

4.  You can make the lyrics skip notes by adding underscores

5.  I would also suggest that you make the structure clearer by creating
staffs explicitly with '\new Staff'. In fact what I prefer to do is put all
the music definitions into variables and then pull it all together  in a
\score at the end.

If I get time later I will have a go at doing all this on the example you
gave.

Colin